FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
General Questions About Operation Hug-A-Hero®
1. If I don’t qualify as a “family in need”, how can I get a Hug-A-Hero® doll?
- You can go to our parent company, Hug-A-Hero®, HQ. Choose Products and start the process for ordering your very own Hug-A-Hero® doll, as well as browse other products made to keep families connected during separation.
2. What service does Operation Hug-A-Hero® provide?
- We provide Hug-A-Hero®(aka Daddy Dolls®) to the children of our deployed military and those that have lost their hero in the line of duty. More…
3. What is the history of Operation Hug-A-Hero®?
- It’s been over 6 years since the first Hug-A-Hero® doll, bearing the likeness of a deployed servicemember, went out to his child in Jacksonville, North Carolina from Tricia Dyal’s home. Now, she and co-creator Nikki Darnell are awed by the reception that their Hug-A-Hero® dolls have gotten all over the globe. More…
4. How is Operation Hug-A-Hero® organized and governed?
- Operation Hug-A-Hero® currently has a diversified Board of Directors consisting of 8 members. Monthly meetings help determine the vision of our organization as well as ensuring we are following our mission precisely and determining the path we will go to be a successful More…
1. When I make a donation, how are the funds used?
- We turn your donations into the making and delivering of each doll. A portion of donations are used for administrative and fundraising expenses. More…
2. How much is the average or recommended donation?
- Donations range anywhere from $5 to $1,000. Any amount will help a child in need.To sponsor one doll to a child, the cost for us is $17.
3. What are the options for providing a donation?
- Donations are accepted using PayPal or by mailing a check to 1335-E Western Blvd., PMB #79, Jacksonville, NC 28546. You can also donate on our Facebook Cause. You can visit our Donation page by clicking the Donate button located on the right-hand sidebar of this site.
4. How can I be sure that my on-line donation is safe and secure?
- PayPal Security and Privacy statement: PayPal protects your financial information with industry-leading security and fraud prevention systems. When you use PayPal, your financial information is not shared with the merchant. Once your payment is complete, you will be emailed a receipt for this transaction.
5. Is my donation(s) tax-deductible?
- Yes. Our organization is a 501(c)(3) approved non-profit organization issued from the Internal Revenue Service. We qualify as tax exempt for any donations received. Our tax id # is 26-3006655.
6. Have any corporate sponsors provided a donation?
- We are working hard to find corporate sponsorships. We have had many organizations which have donated to our cause. Please come back to visit our Sponsors page for updates. If you or your organization would like to help our worthwhile cause, please contact us. We could use your help!
1. Are fund raising efforts encouraged and how can they be set up?
- Yes! Fund raising is encouraged and we appreciate your interest in helping our cause. Please contact us for more information. You can start by downloading our helpful flyer and brochure by clicking on our Materials to Download section.
2. Are there any examples of fund raising efforts which have been accomplished?
- Yes. We have had a 4H group in Jacksonville, FL (the Duval Diplomats) raise funds for us by collecting pennies. They were very successful in this project. A second annual 5K race is took place over Memorial Day weekend, 2011, in Walled Lake, MI. We have also had many fun ideas from car washes to patients donating a per visit to doctor’s offices. We have hosted two Benefit Ride for our Cause through two Harley Davidson dealerships (New River, NC and New Port Richey, FL). Share your ideas with us and let us help you organize a fundraising campaign to help families in your area.
3. Does Operation Hug-A-Hero® provide any promotional or decorating materials for fund raising efforts?
- Yes, please see our Materials to Download section.
1. How can I volunteer?
- From helping to spread the word about us and bringing awareness to our cause to helping at a local event to help raise funds for our cause, there are plenty of ways you can help us volunteer. If you offer a professional service and would like to volunteer your time and talents with us, please contact us to share your ideas with us.
2. What volunteer services are encouraged or needed?
- To help raise awareness or solicit major donors would be greatly appreciated. Again, if you have a local event coming up in your area that allows fundraising tables or vendors to be setup, please let us know about it so we can help you with materials to display. You can also help by simply downloading and printing our helpful Flyer in our Materials to Download section from our website and posting them around your town in coffee shops, grocery stores, etc.
Requesting a Hug-A-Hero® Doll
1. How can I request a Hug-A-Hero® doll for my children?
- If you are a family in need, you can request a doll by completing a Self-Referral application here.
2. How can I request a Hug-A-Hero® doll for someone else in need?
- If you are a Chaplain, a Family Readiness Officer or an Ombudsman, you may refer a family by completing the Program Referral application found here.
3. What is the process from requesting a doll until a doll is placed in the hand of “the little heroes”?
- Once determined the family qualifies for a doll or dolls, we send a letter instructing them how to order their doll(s) by uploading a photo of their loved one. Currently, there is a 1-3 week turnaround time once the order is placed.
4. What constitutes a “family in need”?
- See our list of Eligibility Criteria found here.
5. Why is the Chaplain Request process important?
- We believe contacting a chaplain will create another means of support for the family in need. We also believe this will help us to form a closer relationship with our chaplains and help us determine that a need for a particular family exists.
6. If I don’t qualify as a “family in need”, how can I get a Hug-A-Hero® doll?
- You can go to our parent company, Daddy Dolls®, Inc. Choose Products and start the process for ordering your very own Hug-A-Hero® doll, as well as browse other products made to keep families connected during separation.
1. What are Hug-A-Hero® Dolls?
- A Hug-A-Hero® doll, (aka Daddy Doll™) is a full body picture of a loved one dyed into fabric and made into a soft, washable doll
2. How and where are they created?
- We are proud to say they are made in the USA. Hug-A-Hero® Headquarters is located in Cheboygan, Michigan.
3. What is the relationship between “Operation Hug-A-Hero®” and “Hug-A-Hero® Headquarters”?
- Hug-A-Hero® (aka Daddy Dolls®, Inc.) is the parent company which Operation Hug-A-Hero® stemmed from. We are two separate companies. Daddy Dolls®, Inc. is where our dolls are produced. Operation Hug-A-Hero® is the non-profit side which reaches out to the families of our deployed military and to the military and public safety officers’ families who have lost their hero in the line of duty to provide a Hug-A-Hero® doll free of charge.
1. Is there a current Press Release available?
- Yes. You can view our Press Releases here.
2. Have there been previous engagements with the media?
- Yes. You can see our most recent media coverage by viewing our In the Media section.
3. Are there desired engagements with the media?
- Yes. We would like to appear on any major or local network, any reputable talk show or radio program that will allow us to spread awareness about our important cause. We are very grateful for all the media campaigns we have been on and look forward to appearing on more in the near future.